Dr Evans was born and schooled in Krugersdorp, South Africa. After completion of his schooling he was awarded an American Field Service scholarship to Minnesota, USA where he graduated as a member of the American Academic Honors Society. Upon returning to South Africa he was conscripted for a year to the South African Defense Force in the anti-aircraft corps.
Dr Evans graduated MBBch at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg in1979 and completed his internship in 1980.
The following 2 years were spent lecturing in anatomy at the University of the Witwatersrand, working in emergency medicine at the Hillbrow Hospital and working as a general practitioner in the mining industry.
In 1983 Dr Evans entered into his formal surgical training program at the University of Cape Town and the Groote Schuur Hospital, initially working as a registrar in cardiothoracic, paediatric and general surgery, followed by a formal training in ENT, Head and Neck Surgery. He completed his residency with fellowships of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh in 1988 and the South African College of Surgeons in 1989.
From 1989 to 1994 Dr Evans commenced surgical private practice in Cape Town and had the privilege of serving the local community as a visiting medical officer to the principle paediatric hospital in Cape Town, the Red Cross War Memorial Children’s Hospital.
In 1994 Dr Evans immigrated to Dunedin,New Zealand with his wife and 3 children, taking up anVMO position in ENT, Head and Neck Surgery at Dunedin Hospital and the University of Otago prior to completing his surgical fellowship of The Royal Australasian College of Surgeons in 1996. In 1997 Dr Evans was offered a specialist opportunity in Sydney and immigrated with his family to Australia, establishing his main ENT practice in Miranda as well as consulting in Bondi Junction, Bowral and at Balmoral Naval Hospital. He was Head of the Department of ENT Surgery at Sutherland Hospital from 2004 to 2008.
With over 25 years experience in Ear, Nose, Throat, Head and Neck Surgery and Facial Plastic Surgery Dr Alan Evans has acquired extensive knowledge, experience and surgical capabilities in this specialty. As a fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons his specific interests are functional and aesthetic rhinoplasty as well as endoscopic sinus surgery for sinusitis and nasal-sinus pathology.
Dr Evans’ Qualifications:
- MBBCh University Wtwatersrand
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Fellow of the South African College of Surgeons
Dr Evans’ Affiliations:
- The Australasian and International Academy of Facial Plastic Surgery
- Australasian Society Otorhinolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery
- Australian and New Zealand Society Head and Neck Surgery
- The Australasian College of Cosmetic Surgery
- Australasian Rhinology Society
- Australian Society of Allergy and Immunology.
- Australasian Society of Paediatric ENT Surgery
- Shire Cosmetic Clinic in Miranda, Sydney, was custom designed and built in 2004, specializing in ENT, facial cosmetic medicine and surgery with a special interest in rhinology and in revision rhinoplasty.
Present Hospital Operating Privileges:
- Kareena Private Hospital
- President Private Hospital
- St.George Private Hospital
- Bondi Junction Private Hospital
- Shirecosmetic Medicine Operating Facility
Special Interests and Website Links:
Dr Evans has always had a special interest and passion for facial aesthetic/cosmetic surgery. With a solid foundation in anatomy, physiology, pathology and normal function, as well as an interest in art and drawing, the balance between function and aesthetics
Secondary or revision rhinoplasty is often difficult and demanding surgery and Dr Evans has a particular interest in this subspecialty, having a wide referral base from previous patients as well as general practitioners and specialist surgeons.